Friday, January 09, 2009

"I Can See Clearly Now" oil on masonite 6x6"

click on image to bid
Oh my, what a treat this one was. Can you remember your first pair of shades? How cool we all thought we were. You can just feel the pride in this little one. All too soon we lose that magic. I'll probably do another version of this same painting. It seems there are always challenges that when a piece is done you begin to think of other ways you could have met them. My husband has this "87% rule" theory. If the piece meets 87% of your original expectation you're probably done. That's a pretty loose rendition. It has to do with the time that elapses between concept and execution. Since our idea continues to evolve over that time it probably will never be 100%. That said, he also contends that the 13% is the really important number.....You have to know him. My family calls him Sputnik.

2 comments:

A Painter's Journal said...

I love your theory of the 87%. Its so true. The paintings take on their own life and sometimes missing that 13% is a good thing!
Great paintings lately too!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I agree with Robin and It's a rare day when an artist gets that magic 100%.
This is awesome. You really have a way with portraits.